Powered by United Way of the Cape Fear AreaSenior Community Service Employment Program
Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP)
Like its population overall, America's workforce is aging. Currently, more than 20 percent of the nation's workers are older than 55. The U.S. Department of Labor projects that older workers will represent the largest single segment—25%—of our labor force by 2024.
These same workers, however, are the most vulnerable to sustained periods of unemployment, underemployment, ageism, and skill obsolescence.
The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is the only federally-funded program to support eligible workers age 55 and over with the training they need to enter or reenter the workforce. In southeast North Carolina, SCSEP at United Way of the Cape Fear Area annually serves on average 65 to 70 low-income seniors in Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover, Onslow, and Pender Counties.
Our program helps participants find meaningful employment, either full- or part-time, to gain financial stability, and foster their sense of self-esteem and dignity.
SCSEP is a community service and work-based job training program for older Americans operated under a U.S. Department of Labor grant. We thank the Center for Workforce Inclusion, Inc., for selecting our organization to operate SCSEP in our community.
The United Way of the Cape Fear Area’s SCSEP program is funded by a portion of a $46.3 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor. This funding provides 90% of the support for SCSEP with the Center and its sub grantees providing approximately $5 million in non-federal matching funds. SCSEP is an equal opportunity program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
As the local SCSEP sponsor, UWCFA has formed lasting partnerships with an array of non-profit and government organizations. Participants in the program work 20 hours per week at an assigned host agency work site and are paid the state minimum wage utilizing grant funds.
Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) Host Agency Work Sites:
New Hanover County
- American Red Cross
- AMEZ Housing Development Corp.
- Boy Scouts of America/Scouts BSA
- Brigade Boys & Girls Club
- Cape Fear Community College
- Cape Fear Community Development Corp.
- Cape Fear Council of Government
- Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity
- Cape Fear River Watch
- Cape Fear Volunteer Center
- City of Wilmington Parks and Recreation- (MLK Center, Maides Park, Main office)
- City of Wilmington Code Enforcement
- City of Wilmington Human Resources
- Communities in Schools of New Hanover County
- Community Boys & Girls Club
- Disability Resource Center
- Domestic Violence Shelter (Vintage Values Thrift Store)
- Duke Partners in Caring
- Eastern NC Human Services Agency
- JoAnn Carter Harrelson Center
- Kids Making It
- New Hanover County Senior Resource Center
- New Hanover County Public Library
- New Hanover Workforce Career Center
- NC Services for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing
- United Way of the Cape Fear Area
- Brunswick County Cooperative Extension
- Brunswick County Planning and Community Development
- Brunswick Educational Transition Center
- Brunswick Family Assistance
- Brunswick County Workforce Career Center
- Brunswick Senior Resources (Southport Sr. Ctr., Leland Sr. Ctr., Supply Sr. Ctr.)
- Countywide Community Development Corp
- New Hope Clinic
- Stand Against Trafficking USA
- Town of Navassa
- Columbus County Dept. of Aging (Whiteville Sr. Ctr., Riegelwood Sr. Ctr., Chadbourn Sr. Ctr.)
- Columbus County Career Center (Southeastern Community College)
- Columbus County Workforce Career Center
- DREAMS of Columbus County
- Men and Women United for Youth and Families
- NC Commission of Indian Affairs
- Town of Sandyfield
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- Pender Adult Services (senior resource centers in Burgaw and Topsail)
- Pender County Christian Services (thrift store and food bank)
- Pender County Humane Society (Furry Friends thrift store)
- Pender County NCWorks Career Center
- Smart Start of Pender County
- Southeastern Community and Family Services
- Onslow County Parks and Recreation Department
- Onslow County NCWorks Career Center
- Onslow County Youth Services
- Onslow Women’s Center
- United Way of Onslow County
- USO of North Carolina –Jacksonville